Tuesday, August 30, 2011

PSYCHOANALYSIS OF SOLOMON OGBA


 Ogba detests use of his picture on this blog
I am not happy writing again on athletics in the manner I have to write today. This is not my style and culture. I love tackling issues and not personalities. The whole athletics event in Nigeria is becoming a comedy show.
In African matters, when you talk, the Nigerian is so easily deceived to describe his country as THE GIANT OF AFRICA.  A serious nation will ensure that that sobriquet is sustained in all areas of life. I will for the purposes of athletics suggest we adopt THE FOOLS OF AFRICA.
Our athletics managers are making a serious foolery of our nation. At the world athletics championships in Daegu, while Kenya, a giant in the real sense came second (as at the time of my going to press) on the log with two gold, two silver and two bronze medals. Ethiopia is listed with a gold and a bronze medal. An envelope nation, Botswana, sits with pride with a gold medal. Amantle Montsho who ran in the 400metres returned a new national record with 49.56 secs.
Where is Nigeria?

BLESSING OKAGBARE: This was the best the nation had in Daegu. Of all the eight finalists, she had the honour to be the only athlete running 11+ before the final. All the other finalists were sub-10 runners. She pulled through to the fifth position with 11.12secs. she deserves some quality appreciation for standing alone as one of the finalists.

EZINNEOKPARAEBO OF NORWAY: This is another Nigerian running in a foreign nation’s colours.

OGUNODE FEMI OF QATAR: Yes. That is no typographical error. He was born in Ondo State. He naturalized as a Qatari on the 7th September. In the 100 metres, his personal best this season is 10.07 secs while in the 200 metres he has a respected time of 20.30secs while in the 400metres he has 45.12 secs. He ran in the final of the World championship in Daegu. With his date of birth 15th May, 1991 not the deflated ages we use here, he has a long way to go in the game. Can any of his age mates in Nigeria have the opportunities he has in Qatar? These are the issues. In the final line up in Daegu, he is the second youngest. Only Kirani James of Grenada is younger than him. Kirani is 1st September 1992. He came eighth with a time of 45.55secs in the 400metres final.

PSYCHOANALYSIS OF SOLOMON OGBA: I have heard several threats coming from the AFN president, Solomon Ogba which I had not taken as true or serious. I believe those he tells, some who are my colleagues and out of fear for my safety call me to relay his threats.
One of which is that I should stop using his picture on my blog. I once told the colleague who told him, tell him to leave public office if he does not want me to use his picture.
No President of the AFN had the goodwill and luxury of doing real well in office as him. A friend who knew the roles I played in the elections at the National stadium in Abuja in athletics, weightlifting and handball challenged me, “you were part of those who brought him in.”
I admit. Why I worked for him was because I thought and believed that Governor Gabriel Suswam of Benue will never have time for the game like his predecessors who occupied same office in previous boards like Lucky Igbinedion, Buka Abba, Orji Uzor Kalu etc. Then, some of my friends in the game were on his side.
When he came on board, as it is usual, I went back to my cocoon. Until it was becoming obvious that the President was either not having a focus or has lost his vision that informed my return, emotionally, to defend the primary sport I did as a kid.
What Mr. Solomon Ogba failed and did not realize is that, a man who gets criticism in life for anything he does is lucky. How many people get criticised for what they do? Most men are built in the cement of cowardice that they won’t be able to tell you what you are doing wrongly. Assuming he was a smart person, he would have been taking the content and issues of and in the criticisms to become better.
His messianic chemistry is typically egoistic. He hates to be challenged. A challenge to his authority calls his personality to question. People of messianic complexes are never known to be team players. They have a superior “I” personality. All his decisions he wants should be final. They don’t do well in groups.
Anyhow, I am waiting for whenever he will “deal ruthlessly” with me as he has promised. I also wish he will do it personally rather than send his ‘boko haram’ boys. Whichever one comes will definitely go down with eyes shut out for life. It’s a promise. I have survived worse and more ruthless military rulers of this nation. I wish him goodluck in his ruthless dealing of my pen.
Please ask Mr. Ogba what has happened to Nigerians born in other nations who had represented Nigeria before who had problems with his management methods. In a matter of hours, Nigerians will find out the whole truth about how many medals we have deliberately on our own thrown to the winds due to our president’s messianic elements. Athletes boycotted the All African games because of his ways. Haba!

3 comments:

  1. Nuhu Mohammed, Port Harcourt, Rivers StateAugust 30, 2011 at 6:04 PM

    This is vintage Fashikun. I have always wished that every Nigerian journalist will play the watchdog role effectively and efficiently like this. Ever since I mistakenly saw your link on the facebook and followed you with avid interest every Saturday on Africa Independent Television, you have become my hero.
    God will alwasy protect you against the real enemies of Nigerian sports that you are fighting. Fear not. Trudge on. The prayers of the faithful will see you through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any threat to your safety will be taken seriously. but more importantly, lets face the issue. Since the last five years, we have attended these events with rather little to show for the giant that we are. The mediocre planning, execution of these events exposes our inadequate management of our sports. I will keep saying this, if we do not reform and apply true reforms, we will continue to fail. Mark my words, a year (soon to come) will happen that we will have no team to field. I promise you, if the managers of our sports, do not develop talents, the country will lose out.

    I try not to mix my words, when I say that there is a clear sense of mediocre management throughout our sports. I can hear some people say " who is this one again, what has he done??" My reply to them is, what you, who run the sports today have done, is worse than those of use who understand what needs to be done, and can SURELY do better.

    Jide, the problem is that our people are more interested in other areas of self gratification, an have the "na mi bi" complex, that they dont see the big picture.. I was a part of the academicals system, I played football in clubs run and owned by private sector actors, and seen how it is done abroad, and worked in various situations wherein excellence was the target.

    It is a shame our athletic is in the doldrums. I will not attack the individuals (they are a product of a flawed and horribly fractured system. It can be salvaged but the main focus for the AFN, NFA is to critically review it structure, operations, objectives and key targets..
    Let it be clear Jide, that you must not stop to shout, express your concerns, and be the voice of reasons (but always apply facts and not sentiments). Let us have an opportunity to sit and discuss what is wrong, and outline the key formats to fix it in a sustainable manner... I have no issues with Mr. Ogba, his time will come and go and we would have little or not, but controversy to show for it. Without true reforms, we are just wasting valuable tax payers money (as if they care)! My advice is to quit the scene for at least 2 years, go and internally fix our house, and come back stronger...these are just some thought about Life as I see it>>>>>>

    ReplyDelete
  3. apologies for the typos on the above article. Using a troublesome phone to type this long response again....

    ReplyDelete