Monday, May 9, 2011

Athletics, Circumstances and distress

Making journalists terror attacks in Nigeria
One sunny afternoon in June 1985, three youngmen, myself, Ifeanyi Uddin and Muyiwa 'The Great Cato' Adekeye in want for intellectual challenges walked to the then Nigerian Herald. We met Dapo Olorunyomi. He helped our mien and with time we became journalists.
To me, till date, journalism has remained a calling. I chose it. I love. I do it with absolute passion. I have used it to fight people's causes to success. I opted to drive with integrity on my speed.
On this job, no circumstance can distress me. Rather, the will of God will be revealed through the circumstances I find myself at all times.
I have severally passed the valley and the shadows of death and come out unscathed. It is not my making. God has always seen me through. Who then shall I be afraid of? Why?

HOMILY:
Three death threats I got for pursuing the truth and justice in Nigeria Football Association (NFA). Seeing what is happening in athletics, a deep crack voice calling at the twilight of dawn saying, "leave athletics alone else" after pronouncing my name with a drunkard's mis-spelling of a word while hiding his number was enough for me to declare this new homily.
After the distress of being a guerilla journalist in the era of TheNews magazine, I told a crowd of students in my community to be scared of doing without a cause.
"They can catch me like they caught Yinka Tella. They can arrest and try to break my spirit. They cab break my head and bones not ny obeisance and obdience. They can bruise my skin. Or even kill me like they did to Bagauda Kaltho. I will be satisfied I stood for a cause. Its better one dies for a cause than live long without a cause. If I die they can't eat my body. My wraith will go after them. Sleep they have murdered, they have no rights to sleep again."
How can a man ruin my inheritance and for fear of being labelled I'll keep quiet? I ran the tracks after being honed by Harrison Momah to beat Dayo Onanubusi of Lagos to become the junior 200m champion in 1979. So, I have inheritance in this house.
The dust of justice has risen up, it will not settle with injustice, lies, deceit and manipulation again.
For daring to ask questions, for being a Nigerian patriot and for choosing to be a journalist, a tainted voice scowling behind illicit drugs chose to be a coward by hiding his number to silence me.
I laugh in derision and scorn. I looked into the sky to see if the cloud is so thick as an omen that it is adieu, I found out the early morn sun blazed ferally in anger.
I am waiting. Was it not a pro-Ogba journalist who asked me when I opened the lie of the lying IAAF secretary general who was not trained to lie but wanted to lie on behalf of AFN, "bros, what is your own in this?"
A colleague when we were writing in The Tempo was probably in his primary school learning how to read and write offering, "oga (Ogba) can settle you well if I introduce you to him"
Before I left, I asked him, "can Ogba settle me with N10m?" He said, "no, but he is very rich". Not as rich as the football buffs who offered N10m to me, took their money away and ended as part-time students in Kuje prisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment