Thursday, October 13, 2011

KADIRI IKHANA RETIRES FROM FOOTBALL COACHING

Ikhana bidding bye to coaching
*No more club coaching, he declares
Coach Kadiri Ikhana has decided to call it quits with football coaching to allow younger coaches in the profession to grow and learn from the experiences his ilks have gathered over the years while he will now concentrate on consultancy and coaching development structures.
Ikhana spoke to a coterie of journalists in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, saying, “what is it I want to win in the local parlance again that I have not won? Is it the FA Cup or the league or the African Champions league or what? Kwara United FC is definitely my last club in terms of coaching. I want a situation where younger coaches will be encouraged to growing confidence and that burning desire to want to achieve in coaching.”
The former Super Eagles full back in his playing days added, “I am grateful to God for all He has done for me in football coaching. I had a glorious playing era and when I entered into coaching after my military career, I have been able to meet all my heart desires including becoming a grandfather. So if I don’t leave football, football will leave me.”
Taking a quick review of the coaching career, he said, “journalists have been my guiding points. I love when I read their criticisms. I take my time to respond on the issues they have criticized me. By the next time, I would have gone to correct such things they have criticized me on. Before you know it, I am better than the last time they wrote about me. So, my career progression and achievements I can credit to sports journalists in all the clubs I have handled.
Asked what will be his next port of call, he said, “definitely, I will not be returning to club coaching. I intend to concentrate on coaching development and football consultancy. Except, if you have some jobs for me to come and do. I am only leaving club coaching but not leaving football.”
He has had his share of controversy in the game. It would be recalled how resigned from his position at Kano Pillars on 27th May 2008, citing corruption in the game. He had led Kano Pillars to their first ever league title a day earlier. That year concluded his third stint with the squad, as he was their coach for their first premier league season in 1991 and saved them from relegation in 1998.
Ikhana was a member of the Green Eagles squad that won the 1980 African Cup of Nations in Lagos and represented Nigeria at the 1980 Summer Olympic Games.
After retiring from playing, he became the first coach of Maiduguri's El-Kanemi Warriors in 1986. He is also a former coach of BCC Lions, Kwara United F.C., Sunshine Stars F.C., Sharks F.C. and Enyimba F.C., leading the latter to a CAF Champions League title. On the 1st August, 2008, he was re-hired to be the coach of Sharks F.C.
The 2008 season was a tough one. On 24th September, Ikhana was accosted by three youths at his hotel in Akure after the Sharks played at Sunshine Stars. They were later captured. On the 12th October, he went to the hospital however when he was attacked by hooligans after Sharks upset league leading Kaduna United F.C. 1-0 in Kaduna. After almost leaving Sharks after the 2009 Federation Cup final (a 1-0 loss to Enyimba), he returned for the 2009-10 season but went missing-in-action after the first eight games. He was linked to a move to Wikki Tourists F.C. He eventually moved to Niger Republic and was hired as technical consultant to the Niger Football Federation. In July 2010, he was hired by Kwara United FC spending two seasons in a row. Ikhana is retiring at 60 years of age in his birthplace, Ilorin, though, he hails from Edo State.



*Opuana: playing the ostrich with the NSC 
My close friends who seem to appreciate where I stand on issues will attest to the fact that I will be fair in my dealings with people, events and developments in the industry. You will recall that when the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) brought out what was supposed to be the final list of the contingent to the All African Games in Maputo, I pointed out certain names that were not supposed to be there and certain names that disappeared completely from the list.
One of such names I did mentioned that unceremoniously was Gabriel Opuana. He was supposed to be one of the plethora of 'coaches' to the just concluded games.
Ordinarily, Opuana lied several times which I variously exposed even to his personal conviction. He is not a graduate. He is not a trained coach. There are so many of his ilks in the Maputo team.
Some of the people whose names disappeared from the said final list got back and were in Maputo. I tried asking questions from those who should know. I was peeved with why the others, some with even more terrible records and credential got on board and how Opuana’s name got missing in action (MIA).
The President of the federation, Mr. Solomon Ogba, was quoted by a third party to have said Opuana was dropped from the squad for personal reasons. I continued to press the eyes of their corpse. I found out that Mr. Opuana was actually so dropped for a petition he had allegedly written against the National Sports Commission (NSC).
My source then asked, "does he expect to travel on the bill of the Commission even if he was the best coach in the world?" My worry is, were the issues he raised in the said petition the truth?
What were the objectives he set out to achieve when he wrote the petition?
I will get the petition published only after I am through with verifying the material content thereof. The petition is deep seated and revealing.
EGBUNIKE: When the composer of the national anthem wrote: "the labours of our heroes past shall never be in vain" he must have had the NSC in mind. Reports oozing out from Abuja, the seat of the NSC is carcinogenic. I pray it is not true. Heard the man who is thought should rescue the remnants of the empty Nigerian athletics for the 2012 Olympics, Innocent Egbunike was dumped in one backstreet hotel when he came.
Secondly, someone hinted that he had to be psychologically pummeled to tune into the frequency of doing things especially in matters of his being engaged. He had to wait long hours idling away.
Thirdly, someone further muted to me, what he was being offered as salaries and allowances are slavish. Since they already understand the patriotic swerve in him, he is being exploited!
Can someone tell Egbunike to pick his bag, walk away and keep his head straight. I am sad. Even the American coaches they imported to Daegu smiled home for the cheap funds they got.
Even the Cubans they imported for the 2012 Olympics were to be earning than Egbunike. Take Egbunike's global citizen value of records, which of the coaches in our football has such records and value-added credentials? Why must he be made to look like a fool because of his undying love for his fatherland?
I just hope these are proceeds of a dream and not true.

 
WSC: NIGERIAN SCRABBLE FAMILY HITS AT POLISH EMBASSY DISCRIMINATION‏
The Polish Embassy in Nigeria has been accused severally of racist discrimination by its refusal to honour visa to the Nigerian contingent for the ongoing World Scrabble Championship holding in Warsaw.
According to a renown player of the game who is an academic, Amana Mohammed, "What is the embassy's excuse? Infact no excuse is good enough, we should severe diplomatic relationship with Poland. Period."
Another reputable player of the game described the action of the Embassy thus: "This is scandalous! What can be their excuse for this injustice? Just read about a member of the Kenyan team being denied visa the other day too. The WESPA and WSC organisers should look into this matter urgently. This is nonsense."
In another reaction, another player wrote: "It is a shocking news. If it were April I'd have thought it is a joke. It is a scandalous, childish and racist act, given that they waited till the very last minute. And I am yet to hear the same treatment served to non-Africans. A few days ago they refused a Kenyan player. Maybe their embassy is populated by juveniles. Let them go play their tourney by themselves! This must be the first and LAST time the WSC will be held in Poland! Hope the Ministries of Sport and Foreign Affairs will take this up to the highest level. This is a collective insult to the people of this great nation."
Even Larry Ojoko, an experienced player and former technical director of the game could not spare the Polish embassy: "It is a shame indeed that the Polish embassy can deny the Nigerian contingent to the 2011 WSC visa in this era even after recommendations from ministry of sports and note verbale from ministry of foreign Affairs what else do they need? I guess it was malicious."


No comments:

Post a Comment