Tuesday, October 18, 2011

MAIGARI’S NFF INDUCES DOMINIC ONEYA


Gen. Oneya (rtd)
*MINISTER TO SAVE BROTHER AGAINST NATIONAL INTEREST?
It is sad and true that the Chairman of the ministerial football reform committee, General Dominic Oneya (rtd), was induced by the Nigerians Feeding on Football (NFF) led by Aminu Maigari, with two trips to London. My investigation showed that he was in the Nigeria-Ghana matches, the botched one and the played one.
Then, how on earth will Nigerians trust the man and his committee for true and fair reports when one of the gladiators in the conflict which they are working on offered them trips to London. Only God knows the appurtenant other inducements that would have gone with the trips?
Given the fact that I had accused the Sports Minister, Yusuf Suleiman, of using the Oneya Committee to drag on the life of the NFF because his elder brother, Muazu, is a member of the NFF.
With the committee Yusuf Suleiman set up to reform football and its chairman induced, what are the chances that the other members of that committee have not been silently induced? Thus, how do we trust the clarity and good intentions of whatever they submit. Will it not bear the colours of the NFF inducements?
Is it that Yusuf Suleiman facilitated the Oneya inducements for his brother’s survival? If this is correct, then, the nation’s interest is staked on the abvil of brothers.
I am thirstily waiting to re-assess the individual and collective integrities of the people who are on the Oneya committee. It is 31st October, 2011 when they will submit their reports to Yusuf Suleiman. Then, when will Yusuf Suleiman implement the possible jaundiced report that Oneya will submit to him?

ODEMWNIGIE, SWAN AND MERCHADISING OF NEWS AND OPINIONS
It is true that mercenary tendencies have taken over the Nigerian media industry. It is worse in sports journalism. It is also true that there is crude and brazen merchandising of news and opinions in the industry. The logic of some reports are so ineffectual because of the interests of sponsors and ‘donors’.  Ironically, the academic and other basic qualifications of the reporters, not just in sports, is terrible.
I recall that when Samson Siasia was to be employed, the media sold his candidature as the very best without telling their readers and audience the background truth. Now, the bubble has burst. Where are the friends of Siasia in the media? I have not read any of them make a defence on his behalf.
Was it not the same media that sold Shaibu Amodu as “not good enough” to tinker the national team? They practically sacked him on two occasions. Where are they today to recant their deeds? I recall some of my colleagues who said part of Amodu’s sins was that “he was stingy”. Was Ibrahim Galadima not sacrificed on the anvil that he is stingy? The same anvil on which Shaibu Amodu was killed?
Put Osaze Odemwingie into the fray accusing Nigerian lawyers and journalists. He threw eggs on the face of journalists describing us (since I am a journalist) as “enemies” because they (players) will not give them money. Can those who are ‘close’ to them say they do not demand, directly or otherwise, money from the players?
As for me as an individual, no one in this country in my 27 years of reportage  can say I asked, demanded or took unsavoury professional tips from them. I repeat, no one. That is why I can stand to anyone in the industry and tell them what I think is the truth. Can some of our colleagues stand up to these players or even the officials on these issues?

FCT SWAN AND SAMSON SIASIA
When Lagos SWAN had their General Assembly and did their communiqué which was sent to me was celebrated on this blog, I recall the chairman of the FCT SWAN which incidentally I belong to as member reacted.
Victor Iroele wrote: “Jide Haba! How can you concur with Lagos SWAN? Is it in the place of state chapters to issue statements on national issues? Secondly, where do you place your own constituency, Abuja SWAN? What do you have against Siasia that will make you jump into that conclusion? The interest of the nation should be the over-riding interest, not personal or the mundane interests. I bet you, if you know better, you will not jump into that conclusion. Cheers.”
If what Victor Iroele wrote is anything to go by, he has breached the rule because the FCT chapter which he leads had a similar issue released. That makes my last position correct and right that state chapters have the unalloyed right to comment on issues of sports in the country.
At least, I had the privilege of being a SWAN chairman too. I led the northern SWAN zone with 19 states. That apart, I have written so much about Siasia enough. Morally, Siasia should resign. His contract is clear. Two, Siasia is a victim of a warped system. No coach can succeed under such environment. I had stated this fact when Amodu was to be sacked. I will repeat this when the next coach (which may still be Siasia) will be sacked again.
Victor and FCT SWAN did not tell me better issues that can help me not “to jump into that conclusion”. The truth is, SWAN is in trouble. Sports journalists are divided on the ‘Ghana-Must-go’ philosophy. That is why I call the body SWINE.
I recall a threat from some friendly souls that the way and manner I am going on this matter I will soon be suspended from SWAN. I laughed. I am waiting to be suspended. I also know several sports journalists in Nigeria who are not members of SWAN and yet operate well. This definitely is not the SWAN we inherited, led and handed over. This is not the SWAN the founding fathers dreamt of when in 1965 they started the body. SWAN is now a source of living well for some of our colleagues, many of who do not have a medium they report for. Ceasefire. See you when this subject becomes necessary again.

No comments:

Post a Comment